Becoming a Mental Health First Aider
Adult Mental Health First Aid – 2 day course
Benefits of the 2 day course
Delegates will be qualified as a Mental Health First Aider, giving you:
- An in-depth understanding of mental health and the factors that can affect wellbeing
- Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues
- Confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress
- Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening
- Knowledge to help someone recover their health by guiding them to further support – whether that’s self-help resources, through their employer, the NHS, or a mix
Cost and value of course
Mental Health First Aid England value this course at £300 per person. Everyone who completes the course gets:
- A certificate to say you are a Mental Health First Aider. A manual to refer to whenever you need it
- A quick reference card for the Mental Health First Aid action plan
- A workbook including a helpful toolkit to support your own mental health
This course is offered is either as a face to face or virtually across four manageable sessions. Learning takes place through a mix of presentations, group discussions and workshop activities.
• Why Mental Health First Aid?
• The Mental Health First Aid action plan
• What is mental health?
• Impact of mental health issues
• Stigma and discrimination
• What is depression?
• Symptoms of depression
• Risk factors for depression
• Depression in the workplace
• Suicide figures
• Alcohol, drugs and mental health
• First aid for suicidal crisis
• Non-judgemental listening skills
• First aid for depression
• Treatment and resources for depression
• What is an anxiety disorder?
• First aid for anxiety disorders
• Crisis first aid after a traumatic event
• Alcohol, drugs and anxiety disorders
• Treatment and resources for anxiety disorders
• Cognitive distortions and CBT
• Personality disorders
• Eating disorders
• What is psychosis?
• Risk factors for psychosis
• Alcohol, drugs and psychosis
• Bipolar disorder
• Warning signs of developing psychosis
• Crisis first aid for acute psychosis
• Treatment and resources for psychosis
• Recovery and building resources
• Action planning for using MHFA
There is no formal assessment for this adult Mental Health First Aid course, but delegates must complete all sections of the course.
On completion of the course, delegates will receive a Mental Health First Aider certificate. Mental Health First Aid England issue the certificates and delegates can expect to receive their certificate one month after attending the course.